Clearing Browser Cache
Each time you access something through your web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc), the browser stores, or caches it so it doesn't have to keep retrieving the same files or images from the external web site each time you click Back or Forward. Clearing your browser's cache periodically is an important part of keeping your computer running in tip-top shape.
Be aware that clearing your web browser's cache, cookies, and history may remove data such as the following:
- Saved passwords
- Address bar predictions
- Shopping cart contents, etc.
Here's how to clear your browser's cache in:
- Close all open Internet Explorer windows.
- Using the menu, open: Tools > Internet options
- On the Internet Options window General tab, select the Settings button.
- On the Website Data Settings window, change the “Check for newer versions of stored pages” to “Every time I visit the webpage”. Then select OK on the Website Data Settings window.
- Select OK on the Internet Options window.
- Close the open Internet Explorer window.
- Reopen Internet Explorer.
- Close all open Chrome windows.
- Using the Customize and control Google Chrome menu (the ellipse on right), open: More tools > Clear browsing data…
- On the Clear browsing data window, check the 3 boxes for Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, and Cashed images and files. Then select Clear Data
- Close the open Chrome window.
- Reopen Chrome.
- Close all open Firefox windows.
- Using the menu, open: History > Clear Recent History…
- Check the all of the options (Browsing & Download History, Forms & Search History, Cookies, Cache, Active Logins, and Offline Website Data). Then select Clear Now.
- Close the open Firefox window.
- Reopen Firefox.
- If you quickly need to see a non-cached version of a website, you can always use a private browsing window in your browser, such as Incognito mode in Chrome, InPrivate in Internet Explorer or Edge, or Private Browsing in Firefox.
- You can quickly access your browser's cache clearing window by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Del all at once.